Unmanned Aerial Vehicle, Drone is essential gadget for the travelers all over the world to get the different angle of perspectives for our shot. Flying a drone is one of the inviting things to do in Nepal to create stunning content because of the beautiful geography, vegetation, rivers and seasonal change art effect. However, one must obtain the permit to legally fly drone in Nepal.
Things to consider before bringing drone in Nepal.
- Check if your drone and high voltage batteries meets the security standards of airport security.
- Check the particular regulations of your airline on drone travel.
- Check legislation in both your take-off and destination locations.
Rule for flying drones under the National aviation authority, the Civil Aviation Authority of Nepal (CAAN).
- Pilot must obtain permit from the Ministry of Home Affairs, Department of Tourism, and Civil Aviation Authority of Nepal.
- Drone less than 2kg and below 200ft. from the ground and over private land, do not require a permit.
- Authorization from the department Ministry of Home Affairs, and Civil Aviation Authority of Nepal is required to fly a drone (more than 2kg) relating to the specific subject matter
- Authorization from the concerned Conservation Area/ National Parks, Ministry of Home Affairs, Department of Tourism, and Civil Aviation Authority of Nepal is required
- Pilot must have good control, drone knowledge and operation rules and laws in Nepal.
- Pilot are restricted to fly drones in aircraft flying in the area.
- Flying in a public requires authorization from the local security agency.
- Pilot is responsible for any injury to individuals or damage to property caused by the drone flight.
- Pilot are restricted to fly a drone higher than 120m | 394ft and further than 500m | 1640ft.
- Flying within 50m | 164ft of any ship, transport, or construction is prohibited.
- Pilot must retain the unhindered visual sight of the drones at all times.
- Airport zones should be clean from all the drone activities.
The procedures to register a drone in Nepal
Registration of all categories of drones is must to have flight permission. The procedure to register a drone in Nepal is listed below:
- Visit the Flight Safety Standard Department situated at Sinamangal, Kathmandu
The required documents:
- Filled form per instruction
- Copy of Citizenship Certificate, Valid Passport, or Certificate of Company Registration
- A copy of the manual specification of the drone.
- Picture of the drone with its clear color, brand, and serial number
- Introduction to the uses of Drones
- Copy of the retailer’s VAT bill (For those purchased in Nepal)
- Copy of the Customs Clearance Certificate (For imported drones)
The concerned department will check the file and provide you a certificate, in 2-3 working days, which includes a Unique Identification Number (UIN).Thi certificate will be valid for a period of one year.
The procedure to get the drone permit
01.Take approval from the respective authority
- If your drone weighs less than 2 kg, you must contact the District Administration Office to obtain permission. In case of drones weighing more than 2kg, you must contact the Information Department Office and the Ministry of Home Affairs.
- In case of foreigners, they need to obtain valid permission from the Ministry of Home Affairs, Department of Tourism, Civil Aviation Authority of Nepal, and Concerned Conservation Area/ National Parks
02. Submit the following documents (similar for all three cases mentioned above)
- Filled form per instruction
- Registration certificate of drone
- Flight information (start date, end date, purpose, and location map)
- Letter of authorization (only for a foreigner or a foreign company)
03.Foreigners and foreign companies need the authorization letter from the following authorities:
- Letter from Ministry of Tourism, Home Ministry, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Defense, and Ministry of Federal Affairs and General Administration
- Letter from a specific trekking agency and local guide who is guiding the trip
- Copy of citizenship certificate, valid passport, valid visa (only for foreigners), and biodata of the drone pilot
- Letter of commitment from the drone pilot to work in with the regulations
- The Concerned authority will go through your documents. In case all the documents are true, they will provide you a permit to fly a drone in Nepal.
The granted authorization is valid only for three months. It can be renewed for another three months if the cause for the extension.